20160419

Proverbs 25:15 Persuasive Preaching

Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone.
There are not many these days, but some preachers do still shout. There are plenty who get a bit frustrated with it all. Shouting is rarely ever needed and there is never a need to get frustrated. What is needed is patience and a gentle tongue. The proverb reminds us that a patient man can even persuade a ruler if he goes about it the right way. The king can dismiss him at any time but he patiently keeps working away at his end until he is successful. That is how the preacher must be. As for breaking bones the proverb may refer to literally breaking a bone with your tongue or, more likely, persuading someone to do something that will end in them breaking a bone. Whichever, it underlines once again the power of persuasion. There is a famous anecdote told by Benjamin Franklin of going to hear George Whitefield preach. Franklin says "I happened ... to attend one of his sermons, in the course of which I perceived he intended to finish with a collection, and I silently resolved he should get nothing from me, I had in my pocket a handful of copper money, three or four silver dollars, and five pistoles in gold. As he proceeded I began to soften, and concluded to give the coppers. Another stroke of his oratory made me asham'd of that, and determin'd me to give the silver; and he finish'd so admirably, that I empty'd my pocket wholly into the collector's dish, gold and all." It is a very powerful witness to Whitefield's powers of persuasion. All preachers must learn to be persuasive. Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, says Paul in 1 Corinthians 5:11 we try to persuade others.

No comments:

Post a Comment